Fully revised to meet current guidelines, Pharmacology for the Prehospital Professional, Second Edition offers a complete and practical understanding of pharmacology in the prehospital setting. Pharmacology for the Prehospital Professional, Second Edition provides a unique problem-based approach to ensure that you, as a prehospital provider, are prepared to effectively administer the drugs your patients need. Clinical scenarios present case information just as you will learn it in the classroom and encounter it in the field. By placing each drug in its relevant context, this text teaches you to identify the proper drug for a specific patient in a specific situation.
This Second Edition includes:
- Contextualized profiles of over 90 drugs used in prehospital care for quick identification at critical moments.
- Problem-oriented approaches to real scenarios encountered in the field.
- Step-by-step procedural descriptions of pharmacologic processes commonly performed in the prehospital setting.
- A Medication Math chapter that strengthens your dosage-calculation skills.
- Legal Aspects and Risk Management coverage to help you avoid common mistakes made in prehospital care.
- Review questions that reinforce important chapter concepts and test your understanding.
- Part 1 Foundations
- Chapter_1 Principles of Pharmacology
- Chapter_2 Legal Aspects and Risk Management
- Chapter_3 Drug Administration: Safety and Procedures
- Chapter_4 Medication Math
- Chapter_5 Intravenous Fluids and Administration
- Part 2 Problem-Oriented Pharmacology
- Chapter_6 Acute Coronary Syndromes
- Chapter_7 Analgesia and Sedation
- Chapter_8 Anaphylaxis
- Chapter_9 Cardiac Arrhythmias
- Chapter_10 Congestive Heart Failure
- Chapter_11 Endocrine Emergencies
- Chapter_12 Hypertensive Emergencies
- Chapter_13 Poisonings, Overdoses, and Intoxications
- Chapter_14 Respiratory Emergencies
- Chapter_15 Seizures
- Chapter_16 Shock
- Chapter_17 Traumatic Brain Injury and Spinal Cord Injury
- Part 3 Special Considerations and Procedures
- Chapter_18 Critical Care Transport
- Chapter_19 Special Considerations: Pregnancy, Pediatrics, Geriatrics, and Renal Failure
- Chapter_20 Pharmacology-Assisted Intubation
- Appendix_A Medications, Classifications, and Body Systems Affected
- Appendix_B Compilation of Drug Profiles
- Appendix_C Commonly Prescribed and Over-the-Counter Medications
- Appendix_D Common Herbal Supplements
- Appendix_E Answers to Chapter Review Questions