Navigate 2 eBook Access for Phlebotomy Essentials is a digital-only eBook with 365-day access.
Phlebotomy Essentials, Seventh Edition provides accurate, up-to-date, and practical information and instruction in phlebotomy procedures and techniques, along with a comprehensive background in phlebotomy theory and principles. It is appropriate for use as an instructional text or as a reference for those who wish to update skills or study for national certification. Ensure a confident transition from classroom to clinic with this proven, approachable phlebotomy resource. Phlebotomy Essentials, Seventh Edition easily instills the core knowledge and clinical understanding behind safe, effective patient communication and interaction.
The content in this new edition of Phlebotomy Essentials was designed in accordance with applicable National Accrediting Agency for Clinical Laboratory Science (NAACLS) competencies. Procedures have been written to conform to the latest OSHA safety regulations and, wherever applicable, standards developed by the Clinical and Laboratory Standards Institute (CLSI).
Features and Benefits
- Bookmark: Mark important sections of text by placing a bookmark in the margin.
- Listen: Use the text-to-speech tool to listen to the eBook.
- Annotations: Use the Note, Voice Note, and Highlight features to mark useful information within the eBook.
- Applicable NAACLS competencies are listed at the beginning of each chapter
- Key Terms and Learning Objectives begin each chapter and help students recognize important terms and concepts they will come across while reading the chapter
- Consistently organized step-by-step Procedures with an explanation or rationale for each step assist the student in learning and understanding phlebotomy techniques
- Key Points emphasize important concepts to enhance student learning and reinforce the significance of the stated information
- Cautions highlight critical information to help students identify and avoid dangerous practices
- FYIs add interesting notes and fun facts that will enhance practical application of the information
- Memory Joggers offer a proven way to aid some students in remembering important information
- New Misconception Alerts clarify difficult-to-learn topics based on student data
- New Law and Ethics boxes highlight potential ethical and legal dilemmas phlebotomists face
- Additional Study and Review Questions at the conclusion of each chapter provide a review of content covered in the chapter
- Case Studies bring concepts to life and enhance critical thinking skills at the end of each chapter
- A Media Menu at the end of each chapter points out online student resources available for that chapter
- Book icons throughout the text refer readers to Student Workbook for Phlebotomy Essentials and Phlebotomy Exam Review, which includes a mock national exam and pretest, available for separate purchase for further opportunities to enrich their learning.
- Applied Phlebotomy
- Phlebotomy Theory
- Techniques of Phlebotomy
Table of Contents
- Unit I The Healthcare Setting
- Chapter 1 Phlebotomy: Past and Present and the Healthcare Setting
- Chapter 2 Quality Assurance and Legal Issues in Healthcare
- Chapter 3 Infection Control, Safety, First Aid, and Personal Wellness
- Unit II Overview of the Human Body
- Chapter 4 Medical Terminology
- Chapter 5 Human Anatomy and Physiology Review
- Chapter 6 The Circulatory System
- Unit III Blood Collection Procedures
- Chapter 7 Blood Collection Equipment, Additives, and Order of Draw
- Chapter 8 Venipuncture Procedures
- Chapter 9 Pre-examination/Preanalytical Considerations
- Chapter 10 Capillary Puncture Equipment, Principles and Procedures
- Unit IV Special Procedures
- Chapter 11 Special Collections and Point-of-Care Testing
- Chapter 12 Computers and Specimen Handling and Processing
- Chapter 13 Urine and Other Nonblood Specimens and Tests
- Chapter 14 Arterial Puncture Procedures