Digital Health Care: Perspectives, Applications, and Cases explores the trends, perspectives, and cases of Digital Healthcare and Informatics (DHI) that are transforming healthcare across the globe.
Organized in 5 major connecting parts, this well-conceived text begins by laying out foundational DHI themes before focusing in on key DHI core technologies, developments, methods and challenges – from big data analytics & artificial intelligence to security and privacy issues, clinical decision support systems, consumer health informatics, and more. It then explores DHI emerging technologies (e.g., sensors and wearable electronics) and concludes with short case studies and critical case questions designed to reinforce conceptual understanding.
Digital Health Care: Perspectives, Applications, and Cases is written for undergraduate’s health professionals, this accessible text offers a multidisciplinary perspective that is suitable for use in variety of healthcare disciplines-from allied health and nursing to health administration, public health, and health informatics.
- Each chapter follows a consistent structure that comprehensively covers a specific DHI topic(s) and related key technological components along with workplace practices from a multidisciplinary perspective.
- Real world cases studies (in Part 5) help students understand key and illustrate how they can be applied in real-world settings.
- Clinical innovations and techniques for evaluating clinical outcomes, such as improved care, performance improvement, and cost reduction in clinical settings, are explored and emphasized throughout the text.
- Technology and issues that a transforming the health care industry are explored including standardization, artificial intelligence (AI), cloud computing, medical sensors, enterprise architectures, and precision medicine.
- Navigate eBook Access (included with the printed text) provides online or offline access to the digital text from your computer, tablet, or mobile device
- Healthcare Informatics
- Healthcare information technology
- Healthcare systems analysis and design
- Information Systems for allied health
- Nursing Informatics
Digital Health Care: Perspectives, Applications, and Cases
Table of Contents
- Part I Laying out the Digital Health Foundation
- Chapter 1 Charting A Roadmap for Digital Health Informatics (DHI)
- Chapter 2 Health Informatics Overview
- Chapter 3 Health Informatics Databases
- Chapter 4 Digitizing the Medical Record
- Part II Identifying Key Digital Health Developments, Methods & Challenges
- Chapter 5 Big Data Analytics & Artificial Intelligence in Health Care
- Chapter 6 Public Health Informatics: Equity, Ethical & Privacy Considerations
- Chapter 7 Security & Privacy Issues
- Part III Emphasizing Digital Health Core Technologies
- Chapter 8 Clinical Decision Support Systems
- Chapter 9 Consumer Health Informatics
- Chapter 10 Consumer Health Informatics Tools
- Chapter 11 Compliance & Privacy of Health Information
- Part IV Exploring Digital Health Emerging Technologies
- Chapter 12 Sensors & Wearable Electronics in Health Care
- Chapter 13 Personalized Medicine, 3D Printing & Digital Therapeutics
- Chapter 14 Technology Transforming Health Care
- Part V Supplementing Briefs & Cases
- Chapter 15 Case Studies
About The Author
Phillip Olla, PhD – CEO, Audacia Bioscience
Phillip Olla, PhD, CEng, MBSC is a globally recognized subject matter expert in the convergence of information, technology, and healthcare innovations. He has presented extensively throughout the world in addition to presenting his work before both the United Nations and World Health Organization.
Dr. Olla is a Digital Health specialist with over 20 years’ experience working at the leading edge of technology innovation. He is an innovator, entrepreneur, and educator. He is currently the CEO of Audacia Bioscience, a biotechnology company incorporating breath biomarkers, AI, and smartphone technology to develop innovative solutions. He has served as a consultant to organizations such as Oracle, 02, Roche Diagnostics and NASA. He was named as one of the top 30 global innovators in 2011 by the mHealth Alliance and Rockefeller Foundation.
Dr. Olla has a PhD in Information Systems from Brunel University in the UK, and has published numerous peer-reviewed journal articles, industry reports, and book chapters. Dr. Olla is a Professor of Healthcare Informatics, and holds academic engagements at University of Windsor, McMaster University, Madonna University, and Stanford University.
Joseph Tan, PhD – Professor of eBusiness/eHealth Innovation & Informatics, DeGroote School of Business, McMaster University
Joseph Tan PhD, formerly Wayne C. Fox Chair of eBusiness Innovation, is a professor of eBusiness/eHealth Innovation & Informatics at McMaster University’s DeGroote School of Business. He is the founding and ongoing Editor-in-Chief of International Journal of Healthcare Information Systems & Informatics with a professional background that spans a broad spectrum of multi-disciplines, including general management, information systems, civil and environmental engineering, health technology management, graphics & human-computer interfacing, systems and industrial engineering and cognitive, decision & design sciences. Professor Tan has published widely, including in top journals such as Nature and numerous local, national, and international conferences. To date, Dr. Tan has achieved recognized scholarship in teaching and learning with students’ nominations for teaching excellence and has appeared frequently as invited keynotes for several local as well as major national and international conferences across North America, Asia, Africa, and more. Dr. Tan also networks widely with key decision executives and policymakers apart from academic scholars and practitioners at local, provincial/state, national and international levels, including private, public, and non-governmental organizations and universities.
- Chapter 1
- Chapter 2
- Front Matter